Diane's Salsa August 8, 2006

Since several people have asked about my salsa from the previous post, I thought I'd just post the recipe here and on my recipe blog. Hope everyone that makes it enjoys it.

DIANE'S SALSA

14 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup chopped bell pepper
¾ cup chopped jalapenos or other hot peppers
3 cloves minced garlic
2 cups white vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp. canning and pickling salt
1-2 small cans tomato paste, to your taste

*NOTE* You can adjust the amounts of the hot peppers, garlic and onion, more or less to your taste. I usually add a little more salt to mine, too. Taste for salt and sugar, then adjust if necessary before you jar it and seal it.

Combine all ingredients in a 5 quart or larger Dutch oven or other large pot. Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1 can of tomato paste and stir to distribute evenly. If not thick enough for your taste, add remaining can of tomato paste and combine thoroughly. Taste for salt and sugar and add more if necessary. Bring back to a boil, then place in clean pint canning jars and top with new lids and seal. Immediately turn jars bottom side up on the lids as you seal them. Leave for 10 minutes then turn jars right side up. It's not necessary to process salsa in a hot water bath canner, but you may if you wish. Process pints for 10 minutes. It's not recommended that you put this in quart jars. Yields 8-10 pints.

**I learned the trick of turning all my jars upside down that are not processed in a canner from a County Extension Cookbook I have. If there is any bacteria on the lids the hot product kills it when you turn it upside down.

Hope this turns out good for everyone who tries it.

4 comments:

Bibi said...

That looks really good ... could eat some right now ;-)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

You talked me into it...I think I'll go have some. :-) Really, it is good, and easy, too. Thanks for dropping by, Bibi. :-)

One Crabapple said...

oh Myyyy ! I just found your blog here....these recipes are making me droool.

oh it is so fun reading thru things.

oh myyyyy......

Jenny said...

Those jars are so beautiful, Diane. Oh, just makes me want to go buy some chips!