Hamburger Soup, Diane Style

1 lb. hamburger, or more to suit your taste
2 or 3 medium potatoes, peeled, medium dice
½ cup diced onion
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, or 2 cubes**
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
 
1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans mixed vegetables, or any kind and amount you'd like to add


**If I have canned beef stock or broth or leftover broth I use it in addition to or instead of the bouillion.

Brown burger and onion in a large pot or Dutch oven. Drain grease; rinse the burger if you'd like. Add potatoes, beef bouillion, salt and pepper and sugar. Cover with hot water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. Add vegetables and tomatoes and additional hot water if needed; bring back to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or so, then serve with hot cornbread or my panbread, below this recipe, crackers or your choice of bread.

I use whatever I happen to have on hand for this soup. If I have fresh veggies I want to use I add them according to how long they'll take to cook. If I don't have canned mixed veggies, I use individual cans of green beans, corn, etc.

You can also cook this in your crock pot. Just dump everything in and cook on high for 3-6 hours or low 4-8 hours, according to how fast your slow cooker cooks.

1 comments:

nancy said...

That sounds good, and easy to do. As for the pan bread, sounds verrrry good, but not so easy. I know some thingss like that take "getting the feel of it".
Nancy