Diane's Homemade Refrigerator Pickles

To make about 1 quart of pickling brine:

1 cup white vinegar
3 cups cold water
2-3 tablespoons canning/pickling salt if you have it, if not, you can use table salt


Additional ingredients:


2 tablespoons black peppercorns, or coarse ground black pepper
1 large onion, sliced in rings
3 or 4 large cloves of garlic, sliced
small whole cucumbers and/or peeled and sliced cucumbers
fresh hot peppers or crushed red pepper as desired, optional


Stir brine ingredients to dissolve salt as much as possible.

In quart jars or any airtight container that can be used in the fridge, pack fresh whole cucumbers or peeled and sliced cucumbers, adding sliced onion and garlic equally among the jars/containers. Stir brine again and pour over cucumbers to cover, then cover tightly and place in the fridge.

You can also use small zucchini squash in this recipe or almost any pickling recipe that calls for cucumbers, including relishes, chow chow, piccalili and my favorite, bread and butter pickles.

For the refrigerator pickles I'd use equal parts cucumbers and small zucchini if using the squash in this recipe.

According to how many cucumbers you have you may need more onion and garlic and more brine to cover your cucumbers. These have to stay refrigerated because they're not processed in a canner for long storage. However, they will keep indefinitely in the fridge, if they last that long. Hope they turn out well for you.

7 comments:

kkryno said...

I've made a batch of your pickles, but i was wondering how long before they are ready to EAT! (I hope soon!) Love, Vikki

Art Is Life, Life Is Art said...

Ohh AWESOME!!!! My mother used to make homemade pickles all of the time and I miss them...WONDERFUL recipe! :o)

amelia said...

I followed from Jens FB page and I'm going to make these pickles!! It sounds easy and easy is what I need!!

Jennifer Marquis said...

These are absolutely wonderful! Thanks so much. I have tried several recipes for pickles to use up my over abundance of cukes. All were processed and turned to mush. :(
We add lots of hot peppers and fresh dill weed as well. Now all my friends and family are asking for them and I have actually run out of cucmbers several times now. :)

Thanks again,

Jennifer Marquis
The Rustic Raven Farm and Grove

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Jennifer,

Glad y'all enjoy the pickles. I add fresh dill to mine when I have it, but they're just as good without it, just a little different flavor. I also like hot peppers in mine, but many of my family don't care for spicy pickles, so I keep my own personal stash. ;o)

Di

Anonymous said...

My sister sent me homemade picalli in fall of 2010. I do not use it much and wonder if it is still ok to eat? It looks and smells great and I do not see any mold growing on it. I know she made it with love. Thank you, Grandma Faith 1/16/2012

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Faith, as long as your picalilli has been sealed or opened but refrigerated, it should be fine to use. Just use common sense as you've already stated: if it's off color or has an off odor or in any way seems iffy, I'd discard it just to be safe.

Di