Diane's Homemade Yeast Rolls & Cinnnamon Rolls

DIANE'S HOMEMADE YEAST ROLLS


6 cups bread flour
2 envelopes yeast, or 5 teaspoons bulk yeast
2 tsp. salt
2 cups warm water, test on wrist like formula for a baby (110-115 degrees for the obsessive people)
5 tbsp. sugar ( 1/2 cup for cinnamon rolls)
1/2 cup melted butter, stick margarine, or oil (obviously, the butter gives the best flavor, or use 1/4 cup each butter and oil)

In a LARGE bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the sugar, salt and butter or oil; mix till sugar is dissolved. Add 3 cups of the flour; mix well. Stir in 2 more cups of the flour, reserving the last cup of flour for kneading. Mix well, and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as needed. According to the weather, it may take a little more or less flour for kneading. After kneading, place in an oiled bowl big enough to contain the dough after it doubles in size, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. (I usually put mine on the top rack of my oven and put a pan of warm water on the bottom rack. This really speeds up the rising process.) Punch down and form into rolls, loaves or cinnamon rolls, (directions follow.) Place into greased pans (2 loaf pans or a 9x13 pan for rolls), and let rise again covered loosely with plastic wrap until doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap and preheat oven to 350-375 degrees. Bake loaves for 30-35 minutes or until brown and done. Bake rolls at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes. According to the size of the rolls and loaves and differing ovens, the baking time and temperature may vary quite a bit and have to be adjusted for those variables. If the loaves or rolls start to get too brown before they are done in the center, you may have to cover loosely with foil. Cool rolls and loaves on wire racks for 10 minutes or so, then carefully turn out onto racks to finish cooling. Run a knife around the sides to loosen if necessary. I butter (yes, real butter!) the tops of the rolls and loaves as soon as they come out of the oven. Good luck, I hope they turn out well for you.



CINNAMON ROLLS
Filling:
1/2 cup softened real butter or stick margarine, more or less, to your taste
1/2 cup sugar, more or less, to your taste
2-3 tablespoons cinnamon, more or less to your taste

Prepare the dough recipe above to the point of making into rolls, loaves or cinnamon rolls. Halve the dough. Set one half aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough in a rectangle to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread half the butter over the dough, to 1 inch of the long sides. Sprinkle with half the sugar and half the cinnamon. Carefully roll up, starting with the long side. Pinch the dough closed, making a seam. Seam side down, cut with a sharp knife into 1 inch thick pinwheels. Place in one or two greased 9x13 pans, 1 inch apart. Repeat with second half of dough. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and remove wrap. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown and done. Don't let them get too brown, cover loosely with foil if necessary. Cool on wire racks.

Prepare Glaze:
1 tsp. good vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
2 tbsp. butter, softened
small pinch salt, just a few grains
about 4 cups powdered sugar
whipping cream or canned milk to obtain consistency desired for glaze--about 3-4 tbsp. maybe

In a medium bowl, place butter and 1 cup powdered sugar. With the back of a spoon, press the sugar into the butter, mixing well. Add the salt, flavorings and the rest of the sugar. Mix well, then begin adding whipping cream or milk till desired consistency is reached. Use a wire whisk if necessary to beat out lumps. Drizzle or pour over cinnamon rolls. Serve hot if at all possible.

20 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

That looks awesome! You are making me hungry.

Chrissy said...

I have to tell you that my family lives in Texas (I'm in NY) and your yeast rolls just reminded me of Grandy's rolls. I know "fast food rolls" but please take it as a compliment because I LOVE Grandy's rolls.

Anonymous said...

Diane, I made your rolls today. Lady, you rock!!!!!

Unknown said...

These look so good. Thanks for sharing all these great recipes.

Anonymous said...

Thank u for the recipe! I make this almost everyday. Yes indeed u rock!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Glad you enjoy the recipe, Anonymous. I make them quite often myself and they're a family favorite. ;o)

Hugs,

Diane

Anonymous said...

trying to figure out how many yeast rolls (any recipe) to a round pan, and how many to put in a 13x9?
Any help please, I just started doing yeast rolls and am having a hard time figuring out how many to put in for the final rise.
Thanks for a great site :)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Anonymous, this isn't an easily answered question, since it depends on the size you make your rolls. Generally, I make my unrisen rolls about 3 inches in diameter, and spaced them about an inch apart in any size pan. For a 13x9 pan I usually put 20 rolls, 4 across by 5 down. For a round pan, I usually put about 12-15 rolls, starting with one in the center, then placing them around the edges an inch apart, then fill in the middle spots.

Hope this helps. ;o)

Diane

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((DIANE))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you thank you, that helps IMMENSELY :) :)

Tisha said...

I just wanted to let you know that I tried this recipe and everyone loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe it makes me feel all warm inside that I can now make homemade rolls.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

So happy you enjoyed the recipe, Tisha. It's been my only yeast roll recipe for over 30 years and our family's favorite for sure. :o)

~Cheers

Diane

Tisha said...

I will most certainly be using this recipe a lot. I'm just glad I didn't have to try a bunch of recipes to get the right one.

Unknown said...

Hi Diane, your rolls look absolutely delicious and I cannot wait to try them, but, I have a question I hope you can answer. I have instant yeast - do you know if I use the same amount as the yeast that has to be dissolved first? Thanks, Nancy

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Nancy, I use the instant yeast interchangeably with regular yeast with the same results. I just use whichever I have on hand and proceed according to my recipe.

Hope that helps and your rolls turn out great!

Di

Anonymous said...

Do you know if it would be ok to use plain flour instead of bread flour? I'm not sure of the difference?
Kathy in KY

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yes, plain flour is fine, Kathy. Bread flour just makes them rise a little higher and lighter, but plain flour is still great and I use it more often than bread flour.

Di

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a recipe for yeast rolls like my mother made at home when I was kid. I used this recipe for Christmas and am happy to report these are as close as I have found. Thanks so much. Plan to try the cinnamon roll recipe today and I'm sure the results will be equally satisfying.

jeff said...

Dianne, rises great, but after rising and knocking down, very moist. how do i roll it into rolls for second rising?

Unknown said...

These are really good and pretty easy and I was thrilled to see the recipe didn't call for milk or eggs. Use a stick of Earth Balance - tastes just like butter - and you have yourself some delicious vegan dinner rolls that will make vegan and non-vegans happy. Thanks Diane!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

J.J. Stark: I'm glad you enjoyed my recipe.:-)