DIANE'S TEXAS HASH

8 oz. dry pasta - elbows, rotini, etc.
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped or sprinkle of garlic powder
½ of a green bell pepper, chopped -- optional
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
cayenne pepper to taste
salt and black pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions until almost done. In the meantime, in a large skillet brown ground beef, garlic, bell pepper if used and onion; drain off fat. Drain pasta, reserving cooking water. To the browned ground beef add the drained pasta and remaining ingredients. Bring all to a boil then turn down to a slow simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add reserved pasta water if needed to thin sauce.

Serves 4-6. May be easily increased for a crowd.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I tried this recipe and it was a big hit with my family!
Thanks for sharing it Diane!!
:)

kansasrose said...

This is THE BEST HASH I have ever tried hon! I'm all out of our own hamburger, but I am sendin' Dh to W*art to get some ground beef tonight to make some of your hash for tomorrow and the weekend. It's supposed to be a toad strangler the next few days from that big hurricane Ike moving north... Y'all may get some of those rains. Might as well have some good eats on hand! I'm still pickin' grapes like a madwoman...and will continue to do so in the deluge of rain. Got to get them off the vines before the birds and deer have their fill. Have a blessed weekend Diane! Love, Jen

Lakeland Jo said...

I think I could make a low fat version of this- I love visiting your blog- always lots of lovely recipe ideas

BClark said...

I did not realize that you did this, great!!!. I am going to have to try it for sure.

Best to you , Barbara