DIANE'S PORTUGUESE BEAN SOUP

2 quarts chicken stock, homemade or store bought
3 cups homemade white beans, or 2 cans, with liquid
3 cups homemade pinto beans, or 2 cans, with liquid
1 can sliced carrots
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can black eyed peas
half head of cabbage, cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup chopped onion or 1 Tablespoon minced dried onion
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic, or dash of garlic powder
½ cup chopped celery, optional
Law*ry's seasoning salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
liquid smoke flavoring, to taste, optional
1 lb. sliced polska kielbasa or smoked sausage and/or cubed cooked ham

In *LARGE stock pot or Dutch oven* combine all ingredients except sausage and/or ham and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until cabbage is nearly done, then add sausage and simmer until done. A skillet of hot buttermilk cornbread is the ideal accompaniment for this soup.

*I usually make this in a 5 quart Dutch oven and often have to transfer some of it to another pot because my Dutch oven won't hold it all. If I double it, I use my 3 gallon stock pot!

***********************************************
Again, this recipe is one that I seldom make the same way twice in a row. I use whatever ingredients I have on hand, especially the canned beans and dump liquid and all into the soup pot. The only real constants are the cabbage, broth and smoked sausage. The seasonings and beans vary from batch to batch. You can easily make this soup your own by using the ingredients you like best.

3 comments:

Susie said...

This looks good. I have everything on hand except black eyed peas. Can you believe that I've never even tasted them??
xo

Lucy Stern said...

Diane, this sounds pretty easy to make, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recipe. Thanks.

TO BECOME said...

I have just found your blog and I love it. Thank you for all your help. connie from Texas