RED BEANS & RICE, DIANE STYLE

4-6 cups of red beans, kidney beans or pinto beans, prepared, or 3 cans of beans of your choice
1½ cups raw long grain rice
3 cups water
2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic, or garlic powder to taste
1 cup diced onion (or 4 T. dried minced onion)
1 cup diced bell pepper (red or green, optional)
1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes, whatever you have on hand
2 or 3 teaspoons of beef bouillon granules
3 or 4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring, or more to taste
Lawry*s seasoning salt to taste
black pepper to taste
ground thyme to taste
1 teaspoon of sugar
cayenne pepper to taste
additional salt to taste IF NEEDED
sliced polska kielbasa or smoked sausage

In large pot or Dutch oven, place all ingredients, cover and bring to a boil.

(I don't drain the canned beans before adding, but you may if you wish. I like the flavor the juice adds.)

Turn the heat down to a bare simmer and stir occasionally as this will stick and scorch easily, especially toward the end of the cooking time. About halfway through the cooking time, add the sliced sausage and finish cooking. Simmer until rice is done, about 20 minutes or so.

Taste and adjust seasonings if needed, and add more water if you like yours a little juicier.

Yields about 2 quarts of red beans and rice.

*************************************************

That's my basic recipe, but I never make this the same way twice. Sometimes I start with a red beans & rice boxed or bagged mix and then add more beans, water and rice and my own seasonings. If I have leftover ham I sometimes add it instead of or in addition to the sausage. I use Ro*tel tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes sometimes, and I usually add a can or 2 of kidney beans to this even if I cook pintos or red beans from scratch for this. I often use leftover pinto pinto beans for this, one of the few leftovers I'll eat and only in red beans & rice. Whatever I have on hand at the time determines what goes into my red beans & rice.

Hope y'all enjoy this!

0 comments: