Diane's Broccoli Salad

1 large bunch of broccoli
1 1/2 cups seedless grapes, any color, halved
1/2 cup diced red onion, or slice any size you like
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 lb. smoky bacon
1/4 cup sugar, or more to your taste
dash of salt
2 cups good mayonnaise, more or less to your taste

Wash, trim and cut broccoli florets into bite sized pieces. Dry well.

In the meantime, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and cool. Break into bite sized pieces.

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl and toss to combine. Cover with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours to let the flavors blend and for the salad to chill.

Serve as a side dish or as a light entree.

To fancy it up a bit, serve on red or green lettuce leaves.

Red or purple seedless grapes are especially pretty in this dish.

This is best for the first couple of days, but will keep for at least a week in the fridge. I wouldn't push it much longer than that because of the mayo. It can be a bit persnickety as we all know.

Now this may sound like garbage to you, and it did to me at first. My friend had to talk me into trying this because it just didn't sound like it would be good at all, but I'm telling you, this combination of ingredients just WORKS, folks!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

Sounds awefully good to me. I need to get some grapes and then I can make it.

Mountain Mama said...

I love broccoli salads. I just made a copy of this one but will need top get grapes.
I also found a recipe that's been floating around here for ages for West Coast Chicken that I want to make.
I didn't cook today. Just heated some left over soup and a few slices of doctored up cardboard pizza. It was good too. I have learned that when we are really hungry just about anything tasted good.

We had a lot of snow last week but thankfully it's gone now. I hope your's won't last long enough to be an inconvenience.

Have a great week Diane.

Susie said...

This looks yummy :) Red grapes were only 88¢ lb this week, so I have all the ingredients..

Lakeland Jo said...

sounds fabulous- as I commented on your other blog we don't usually use broccoli in salads over here, but we will now!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane, This is similar to my recipe except for the grapes (mine calls for raisins or craysins) and mine calls for a little vinegar. I am going to try the grapes instead of the raisins...thanks for sharing. v from Idaho

Aldwin Sendaydiego said...

nice one my wife really need it. Thanks