MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1 3-lb. frying chicken, cut up, or 4 large chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 medium bag nacho ch
eese tortilla chips
1 lb. loaf pasteurized process cheese
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, hot or mild, your choice

Boil the chicken until tender; let cool and bone, discarding fat, skin and gristle. Pull apart into bite-size pieces. Mix soups and diced tomatoes and green chilies in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. In a greased 13x9x2 casserole dish, layer in this order: half the meat, half the chips,
half the cheese, sliced, and half the soup mixture. Repeat for the rest of the ingredients, ending with soup mixture over all. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.

It may be necessary to cover loosely with foil toward the end of the baking time to keep the chips and cheese that are not covered by the soup mixture from getting too brown. Half to one cup of reserved chicken broth may be added if it's too dry.

This is one of my very favorit
e casseroles, and I know it’s been in my family for at least 30 years. This used to be a Sunday dinner favorite. Mmm mmm, good.

***HINT***

I often double this recipe and make 2 casseroles so that I have one to serve, and one to freeze for later. It's not any more trouble to make two than it is to make one.

2 comments:

tam said...

Hi Miss Diane,
I have pondered this question for a while...I find it is cheaper to buy the 3-5 lb bags of chicken on sale (boneless) than the whole chicken. Is there a reason you choose the whole chicken? I used chicken broth added to recipes if it is needed. I will only listen to my Miss Diane on this. Miss you. Tam

Diane@Diane's Place said...

You can use any chicken parts, Tam. I like the white meat in this recipe but you can use leg quarters with good results or any kind of chicken, as I said. You could even use canned chicken and skip cooking chicken for this recipe.

And I miss you and my other blogging buddies, but I'm just not ready to start blogging again right now. :o)

Hugs,

Di